Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Taking advantage of Photoshop

I think it's only fair that I share a before and after example from photoshop. In this portrait I shot Cindy. Cindy has got to be one of the funnest people I've ever taken a portrait for! She's extremely photogenic, has a great smile, and was just comfortable in front of the camera.




I'll let you view for yourselves and see if you can spot all the photoshop enhancements. One of my favorite tools in photoshop is curves. If you haven't played with curves at all, I recommend you play around with it. I believe there is no right or wrong way to play with curves, or photoshop for example. To me, photoshop is an artists' tool. Anyway, if you're working on a pc, curves can be found by clicking "Image", "Adjustments", and "Curves". Or just by pressing ctrl-m. In the above portrait of Cindy I used curves to adjust levels and add contrast. Of course I cloned out the reflector my assistant Lindsay was holding. You can see it poking into the frame on the original image. I used the healing brush tool and the clone tool to take care of some stray hairs and a couple unwanted items in the background. Also I created a separate levels layer and brightened her eyes, teeth and hair. To be honest, their are so many little photoshop tricks used in this shot that to explain them all will make this blog even more boring than it already is. So if there are any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

No comments: